Sunday, February 08, 2009

You are not your job...


Well, it's finally happened. After a 'consultation period' - not really sure where the consultation came in as we were told we were buggered pretty much at the start of the process - I've been made redundant along with most of the rest of my team. Never been made redundant before. Lots of my fellow workers keep coming up and hugging me, others find it hard to make eye contact. I've been with the same company (as a Copywriter...ads, websites, radio scripts, brochures, press releases...that kind of thing...can you tell I'm touting for business?) for nearly 7 years and on Friday the 13th (nice timing) I'll be one of a growing band of unemployed folk. What am I going to do? Not sure yet. Part of me is crying out (in a Mr T stylee) 'get your CV up to date and start applying for everything under the sun you crazy fool'...another part is a little more chilled. For the last 17 years or so I've worked pretty much non-stop with no real 'career plan' - I've got even less of a 'career plan' now I guess - and there's a real temptation to just see what happens. Hmmm...straight back onto the corporate career ladder or...and there's the thing...I'm not sure what comes after the 'or'. Watch this space.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's horrible, I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'm sure you'll bounce back though.

Anonymous said...

Cheers Russ. Yes, I'll be okay. It's liberating in a strange kind of way and, reading through the thousands (sadly) of 'I've just lost my job' blogs most people seem to come out of it better off eventually. Whatever happens it'll be an interesting experience.

Anonymous said...

Amigo!!! you and the good lady Baron are always welcome to come stop with me on the other side of the pond. Recharge your very old batteries, drink Margaritas and enjoy life without copy... for a while!

All the very best my man.

Anonymous said...

Bless you Bobby D. I'll have to bring the football table over and give ya the brush!