Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Sounds of 2012...

So the BBC’s annual Sounds of...list is out once more and there’s not a huge amount to tickle the earlobes from what I’ve heard so far. Of the 12 acts the soulful sounds of Michael Kiwanuka are well worth a listen, Friends are real contenders and, on the basis of the following tracks, I’d take a punt on StooShe and Azelia Banks too. StooShe’s track, Betty Woz Gone is a grinningly upbeat mix of Salt n’Pepa meets Lily Allen and, by all accounts, they can cut it live too.



The Azelia Banks track is pure filth, featuring as it does a liberal use of the c-word...and we’re not talking Christmas here. Definitely one to play for Auntie Gladys on Boxing Day. Puts the ho back into ho ho ho...



Who would I stick in there? Well,for starters Dimbleby & Capper would be a shoe in...



as would Saint Saviour...



and Florrie...



...and Goodnight Lenin too of course...



That's just for starters of course, the one thing you can be sure of, no matter how much crap there might be out there right now (and there is a lot of crap out there, I'll grant you that) there's a lot more good stuff going on in bedrooms, pubs and broom cupboard sized venues all over the world, all you've got to do is dig it out. Enjoy...

PS: I've not included Lana Del Ray because, let's face it, she's going to be massive.

PPS: Yes, I know there are a whole bunch of bands I've raved about over the past few months who I've not mentioned here...why not settle down for a week and revisit all of this year's posts eh...your boss'll never know...

No comments: