Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Semi Regular New Music Roundup


Wow, two new music roundups in a week. Blimey. Getting efficient now eh? No, you’re quite right, still a slack ass. Anyway, here are the pick of this week’s tunes from the old inbox. Enjoy!

Imagine Pet Shop Boys fronted by a goth and that pretty much sums up Trust’s Dressed For Space. I’ve never been a goth myself but back in the 80s I was a mincing synth boy...hell, who am I trying to kid...I’m still a mincing synth boy. The band’s debut album TRST is out on 15th October...hmmmm...all that’s missing is U...see what they did there? Genius.


Remember XTC? Of course not, you’re not 104 are you? Anyway, they were a pretty cool indie band back in the day. I imagine this lot, Weird Drums, do remember XTC, given the jangly Generals and Majors feel of this little beauty, Vague Hotel. Neat.


Okay, this one from A Girl I Know (I don’t know her though...that’s the name of the band...confusing eh?) sneaks in thanks to its insanely hooky bits and the piano break about two minutes in. Listen to it a few times and I defy you to think of anything else. Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Apparently the bloke doing the rap bits was in something called Breaking Bad. Yep, me neither.


There’s a bit of Love feel to this one from Unknown Mortal Orchestra...and that’s good enough for me, tip top 60s tinged psych soul.



Have I pimped this one from Tame Impala yet? Hell, even if I have it’s worth another spin. More 60s psych meets 70s rock from the best thing to come out of Australia since Rolf.


Manchester’s Dutch Uncles seem to making some classy pop right now, again harking back to the 80s but this time embracing some of that eras more experimental acts like Talk Talk and Japan with a dash of Hot Chip to bring it all up to date.


That’s it for now. If you’re in Brum tonight hop along to the Actress and Bishop for the moshtastic The Catharsis...that’s this lot. Hell yeah.

No comments: