Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Thompson Twins to reform!


STOP PRESS!!!

Since writing this post way back in January 2013 it's just been announced (29th January 2014) that Tom Bailey will be performing Thompson Twins songs (for the first time in 27 years!) at this years Rewind Festival! Details here!

Oh alright...they're not. Sadly. Whilst most of the 80s bands I was too young to see back in the day have dutifully reformed over the years, Culture Club, Heaven 17, Blancmange, Soft Cell, Dexys, Adam Ant (less of a reformation, more of a Lazarus-like return from the grave), Thomas Dolby (again, not so much of a reformation, more a comeback) etc, one of the decade's biggest bands, Thompson Twins, have stubbornly resisted the lure of the lucrative nostalgia circuit and gradually faded from the memories of all but the most hardened 80s pop fans. For a brief moment though they were huge, with platinum selling albums in the UK and US and a slot on Live Aid that saw them joined on stage by the material girl herself (okay, it's not their finest moment, but still, you get the idea, they were BIG).



I'm guessing that most people under the age of 30 won't have a clue who they are (or quite possibly care either but what the hell, it's a Wednesday and you've got nothing better to do) so here's a very quick history lesson in video form...











Now that Bowie's back how's about a Thompson Twins reunion eh? Apparently both Tom Bailey and Alannah Currie live here in the UK (Currie's married to ex KLF dude Jimmy Cauty) and I'm sure we can lure Joe Leeway out of his career as a hypnotherapist...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

they put the funk in punk ( used to get the audience to come onstage and play various small instruments ...eg spoons tambourines...etc etc) they then took the big time and the money (fair do,s) but burnt out...best left alone I think unless you have love on your side

Pete D said...

I saw the Thompson Twins once only in 1986 and they were hands down the best live act I have ever seen, no joke. They had everything covered, great songs, brilliant stage sets and costumes, amazing lighting, awesome instrumentation and backing band (including all analog synths and a fairlight), exotic percussion instruments, and even a robot, it was mind blowing. Would love to see a reform tour of some kind but totally understand why they would be reticent to do it, especially after the way the british press and fans treated them towards the end of the eighties. I know many people who still love their music though.

The Baron said...

Cheers Pete, I'm very jealous!

I can understand why they've not reformed to date as well. It would be great if they did something together again though. Strange how rarely their music gets played these days. Some people have no taste!

The comeback starts here! Hopefully...!

Anonymous said...

I'm 27 and I know who they are. I love them actually!

Anonymous said...

I'm 27 and I know who they are. I love them actually!

Anonymous said...

The Thompson Twins were the epitome of my 80s! I remember being in Sherry's nightclub, Brighton in 83 dancing to 'Love on your side', I knew they would be big! they went onto write and perform numerous 80s classics. I never saw them live- If the ever got back together I would literally travel anywhere in the world to see them (I would prefer if they could play in London for me! ). There are so many people old & young who would so like to see them play on stage. I do www searches from time to time hoping a reunion is on the horizon.

The Baron said...

Cheers for the comment. I'd love to see them play together again too. It looks increasingly unlikely sadly but you never know. Maybe one day they'll see these messages and have a change of heart!

Anonymous said...

Tom bailey performing twins hits this august at Rewind festival and headlining Regeneration tour in the USA