Friday, October 13, 2017

Just a City...




'wood you believe it, on Sunday it'll be two years since we left Bearwood and Brum. TWO YEARS! Given that I was born and raised there and spent 42 years in the place inevitably I still miss it and its people, although judging by the number of friendly Brummie accents you hear down here in Devon half of Birmingham's population's seemingly decamped to the South West.

Anyway, the last time I lived away from Brum (before this one) was my 3 year stay in Brighton during the student years (oh so many baked beans) and when I did venture back I'd often listen to the first Voice of the Beehive album, Let It Bee (on cassette, naturally). Somehow, no matter how long the journey took, the track Just A City always seemed to be playing as that familiar skyline came into sight. So, two years since I last left, it seems entirely fitting that I give it another spin.

PS: How good were Voice of the Beehive? Jangly pop perfection. Incredibly this track stalled at number 42 in the charts. Criminal!



No comments: